Nothing says cooler weather like a warm bowl of soup. In our house we have a few soup staples that regularly rotate through the menu. While we have a number of favorites, there is one that is usually right at the top of the list: Chicken Pot Pie soup.
This recipe, by 40 Aprons and linked below, takes a classic dish, chicken pot pie, and adds a modern twist. This recipe is also great for my dairy intolerant friends as it uses coconut milk and cashews to create the creamy consistency we love about a chicken pot pie.
If you give it a try, we’d love for you to share a picture on socials. Tag @os-institute and use #osilovesfood.
- If you don’t have an instant pot there are instructions for stove top or crockpot in the notes section.
- I would not freeze this one after you’ve put in the coconut milk/cashew mixture.
- You can swap the potatoes for cauliflower gnocchi (from trader joes); just add the gnocchi after releasing the pressure and warm through for a few minutes before serving.
Tweaks that I make to the recipe are:
- 3 large chicken breasts instead of 2 (prioritize the protein!)
- Use olive oil instead of ghee (I don’t keep ghee in the house)
- Reduce cashews from 1 to 3/4 cup
- Optional: add ¼ – ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a little bit of spice.