Here in Fuquay Varina, we’ve got a new(dish) Indian restaurant that everybody has been raving about and we agree – it’s delicious! It’s inspired me to jump out of my comfort zone and try some new stuff I hadn’t even had the option to try before. One of my favorites on their menu is the Chicken Biryani. I was pretty excited to find this online recipe with a cauliflower rice option that looks just as amazing as the one at the local joint. I’m pretty sure I could even get my kids on board with this one too which is a double win during a busy week because this one is quick to make and will be awesome as leftovers.
Sub in a different protein or omit all together if you prefer and voila – awesomeness on your table for dinner!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp ghee avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium sized yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp finely diced ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3-3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Begin by ricing your cauliflower. Cut your cauliflower into florets. Place inside a high powered blender or food processor and pulse for 10-20 seconds. Scrape down the sides to remove any cauliflower sticking to the side. Once cauliflower is evenly riced, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium – medium high heat. Add oil or ghee and coat the pan. Toss in chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes, evenly browning all sides (inside might still be a little pink).
- Now toss in onion and ginger. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add in spices, salt, tomatoes, chicken broth, and raisins. Mix, then toss in cauliflower rice. Bring mixture to a quick boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 5-7 minutes or until cauliflower rice is softened.
- Remove from heat. Top with almonds and cilantro. Serve hot!
Thanks to Wholesomelicious for this recipe!